The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, March 13, 2021

Pearl Harbor Survivor David Payne Turns 100-- Part 2: No Time to Fear... At First

Being stationed in Hawaii before December 7, 1941, was fun and exciting.  But, that morning, he woke up and looked outside the window of his third floor barracks at Hickam Field.

"The battleship Arizona was parked only about a half mile  from where I was.  I seen this torpedo plane heading towards  the, the ship," Payne explained.  "I probably saw the  torpedo that sank the  Arizona.  The loudest sound I ever heard."

At that moment, he didn't know what was going on, it was all happening so fast.  He didn't even have time to be afraid.  Then it came to him what was going on.  "Except when they were.    I was out there on the ground when they were shooting at me.  I was scared then.  I was praying then," Payne said.

He was one of the many men who rushed outside  and tried to save the planes at the base as the Japanese planes flew low, just 20 feet overhead.

"I'd lay down.  I'd see a plane coming, I'd lay flat , figured I'd be a smaller target..  Ans when he got over me, I'd rise up and shoot at him with a .45 pistol.  All I had was a .45 pistol,"  Payne said, laughing.  "1,000 to 1 I'd probably hit him, but at least I was throwing lead at him."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment