The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, November 19, 2021

USS Russell (DD-414)-- Part 1: A Sims-Class Destroyer

From Wikipedia.

I have been writing about the USS Russell (DDG-59) in my Cooter's History Thing blog.  This ship is serving at present in the U.S. Navy and is a guided missile destroyer.  It was named after a Civil War naval officer, John Henry Russell, Dr. and the 16th Commandant of the USMC, John Russell, Jr..

I wrote about John Russell of the Civil War in my Running the Blockade:  Civil War Navy  blog earlier this month and am writing about the Russell who was Marine Corps Commandant in my Cooter's History Thing blog.

But, there was an earlier USS Russell (DD-414) which fought in World War II and was one of the most decorated of all U.S. warships during it.

**********************************

The USS Russell (DD-414) was a World War II Sims-class destroyer named after  Rear Admiral John Henry Russell who fought in the Mexican War and the Civil War.

General Characteristics:

348 feet long

36 foot beam

35 knots speed

Crew  192

Armament

Five 5-inch guns

Four .50 caliber machine guns

Eight 21-inch torpedo tubes

Two  depth charge racks

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment