Saturday, May 6, 2017

WWII Gun Mount Uncovered By Hurricane Matthew-- Part 2: Battle of the Atlantic

During World War II, Charleston was protected by big guns at Fort Sumter and Batteries Jasper and Thompson on Sullivan's Island.  These were built around the turn of the 20th century as part of the Endicott System.

These defensive fortifications were designed for use against smaller warships, but not battleships.  Late in the war, a new battery was built on the Marshall Reservation which mounted two 12-inch guns.  The guns were still around between Stations 30 and 31.

A warship attack by Germany never took place, but U-boats came to be a big problem.

During September 1942, the U-455 laid a dozen underwater mines at the entrance of Charleston Harbor, but a minesweeper detected them and cleared them away before any harm was done.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment