The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

USS Tennessee Survivor, Adolph Hengl, Remembers-- Part 1: "Get a Hose!"

From the December 10, 2015, Livermore (Calif.) Independent "Survivor Recalls the attack on Pearl Harbor" by Carol Graham.

Adolph Hengl, 98, was the aircraft maintenance officer on the battleship USS Tennessee at Pearl Harbor that day.

"I couldn't see what was happening outside.  When there seemed to be a lull, I came out of the compartment and stepped onto the quarterdeck to see what was going on.  A bomb hit and sent me back through the door, slamming me into a metal wall.

"I stood up and saw tiny fires all over the linoleum floor.  I wasn't hurt, although I guess I might have been out momentarily.

""Then men came running and said, 'Boy, oh boy, you did a pop!'  I hollered at them, 'Get a hose and let's put these fires out.'"

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment