The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, April 15, 2016

HMS Looe/HMS Lyemun/IJN Nanyo-- Part 1:

I have been writing about the HMS Looe which sank in 1744 at Looe Key in the Florida Keys.  Nine of its cannons have been tentatively traced to a recreated Colonial fort in New York.  I also researched other ships in the Royal Navy by the name HMS Looe.  This is in my Cooter's History Thing Blog.

The seventh HMS Looe looked interesting and had a World War II connection, so did further research.

Wikipedia had it listed as it being a Bangor-class minesweeper laid down in 1941 and renamed the HMS Lyemun while still on the stocks, but captured that year by the Japanese and later completed as the Nanyo in 1943 and lost later that year.

On that information, I'd have to believe it was built and captured in either Hong Kong or Singapore.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment