The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Jim Doyle, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Dies

I wrote about Mr. Doyle last week.  This is a follow up.

From the March 31, 2017, Lakewood (Colorado) Sentinel "Pearl Harbor survivor dies at 93."

Lakewood resident, Jim Doyle, died March 28, 2017, at age 93.

He was born in Colorado and joined the Navy at age 16, wanting to become a pilot, but instead became an aerial photographer.

Mr. Doyle's memory of the attack:  "I was an aerial photographer and was stationed on Ford Island.  We slept in the hangar, and when I heard the explosions, I grabbed my camera and started taking pictures.  Many of the Dec. 7 pictures used are mine."

After his time in the service, Mr. Doyle worked for the U.S. Geological Service.

I still do not know specifically which of the Pear Harbor attack photos are his, but since he was on Ford Island, I would say the picture of the planes on fire on the island are his.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment