The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, July 19, 2019

His Dad and Gen. Eisenhower-- Part 3: And That Is Why He Voted Republican in 1952 and 1956


"What was so impressive was that not only did the general defuse an uncomfortable situation, but he did it without embarrassing either the major or the private in front of the rest of us.

"Eisenhower disappeared into the tent, emerged a half-hour later, shook our hands and departed.  That was the only time I ever saw him in person, but I will never forget it."

Then Cory Franklin's dad, Murray Franklin, answered his cousin's question as to why he had voted for Eisenhower instead of Adlai Stevenson for president.  "Adlai Stevenson was a good man, but I voted republican.  Dwight Eisenhower was my commanding officer on D-Day."

That ended the politics discussion.

This is one of those special stories that I so love in history.  It is the human side of things.  I am hoping that the ever shrinking number of World War II veterans are writing down their memories as I'd hate to be losing stories like this.

What Dwight Eisenhower did in this story is a good example of why he was the commander to get D-Day accomplished.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment