The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, February 15, 2020

Deaths: Charles Sanna Built Submarines and Invented Swiss Miss Cocoa Mix


CHARLES SANNA  (1917-2019)

Best known for inventing Swiss Miss Cocoa Mix.  You can read about him in several posts I made in my Cooter's History Thing blog which you can get to in the My Blog List section to the right of this.

Graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1939 with a degree in mechanical engineering.  During World War II he joined the Navy and rose to become superintendent of submarine construction at Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Maine.

But his thoughts after the war always returned to the submarines he built and the men who served and died on them.

"These men had to be utterly perfect, particularly mentally," he wrote near the end of his life.  "I would ask that anything said on my behalf would include a statement of tribute to the 3,505 valiant, unheralded submariners of the United States Navy who lost their lives in World War II."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment