The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, February 7, 2020

Death of John "Jack" Lyle, Tuskegee Airman-- Part 2: "You're One of Those People That Protected Our Guys"


Recounting his war experiences, Mr. Lyle said:  "We flew 500 feet above the bombers to keep enemy fighters from hitting our guys.  I loved flying, being up in the clouds, the scenery.  I flew 26 combat missions from southern Italy to Austria and southern Germany over the Austrian Alps."

"I was shot at several times as part of the formation.  I watched bombers being torn apart, but they were performing the mission they signed up to do.  And when I had to shoot the guy who was shooting at the planes, I was protecting, I did not feel bad because that was my assignment."

Mr. Lyle told Jet Magazine:  "The airmen made a contribution to our country.  And even though there was a lot of racism then, a lot of other people think so, too.  Once, I went to a bar in full uniform and some white guys started approaching me.  I was watching them.  Then they broke into smiles and started thanking me, saying, 'You're one of those people that protected our guys.' "

His wife said, "He had no fear.  None at all."

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment