The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

About the Hoback Boys-- Part 3: "Our Concern Became Fear, and Fear, Finally Became Nightmare"


In June of 1944, I had finished my freshman year, I was looking forward to spending large chunks of the summer at Bedford County Lake, and I was a long way from the frontlines.

A few days into the month, though, we learned that our boys were on them.  We did not know who was where or how anyone was, but our faith was strong and our hopes remained high.

In the weeks following D-Day, we heard reports of fierce fighting  as the Allies moved deeper into France.  What we did not hear was any news  about the Bedford company, or from Raymond or Bedford (her brothers).

We were concerned, and as the days passed, our concern became  fear, and fear, finally, a nightmare.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment