The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

About the Hoback Boys-- Part 4: "An Unexpected Knock Came Through the Door"


This account by Lucille Hoback Boggess (Bedford and Raymond's sister) certainly brings out the humanity side of the war.

One Sunday in mid-July (July 15, 1944) everyone was getting dressed to go across the road to church.  An unexpected knock came through the door, and my father opened it to the sheriff.  Looking pained and mumbling a few words to Dad, the sheriff  handed him a piece of paper-- a telegram.

"The War department regrets to inform you," it began, "that your son, Pvt. Bedford Turner Hoback has been killed in action."

The news that  everyone in town had been expecting, had been dreading, was finally here.

It was here-- in our house.  Our house.  We were stunned.

Scarcely comprehending the loss but painfully aware of my parents' grief, I watched my mother's tears begin, and my own followed.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment