The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Some More on Elmer Charles Bigelow, MoH Winner

From Wikipedia.

I keep my boat over winter in a barn at a farm near the Linn-Hebron Cemetery in Hebron, Illinois, where Mr. Bigelow is buried. I'll have to visit his grave when I pick it up next month.

Mr. Bigelow was born in Hebron on July 12, 1920, and trained at Great Lakes Naval Base in North Chicago, Illinois, in 1942.

On February 14, 1945, the SS Fletcher was assisting in minesweeping operations prior to the US landing on Corregidor Island, when it was hit by a shore battery.

He died the following day from injuries fighting the fire and is buried at the Linn-Hebron Cemetery. There are also quite a few Civil War veterans buried there as well.

A Hero. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment