The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, March 19, 2012

SS Oldenburg (SMS Mowe)

I just finished a blog entry in my Cooter's History Thing about the German freighter SS Oldenburg, which was sunk April 7, 1945 near Norway.

During World War I it had been the highly successful German raider SMS Mowe which had sunk 40 Allied ships as well as a pre-dreadnaught British battleship, the HMS King Edward VII in a minefield it had laid. It sank the SS Mount Temple, a Canadian ship carrying dinosaur fossils and 700 horses. This Mount Temple might have been the Titanic's "mystery ship" that failed to come to the stricken ship's aid as it was sinking.

Very Interesting Story. GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment