The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Battleship North Carolina Comes Home-- Part 5

Newspapers all over the country reported the story.  The Long Island Press in New York had a picture of it with the headline, "Yes, Dear, a Battleship; No, Dear, I'm Stone Cold Sober."

Fergus eventually sued the battleship commission for $25,000 and settle out of court in 1965 for slightly over $3,000.

The Ark reopened within weeks and stayed in business until Feb. 1865 when work began on the Coast Guard building on Princess Street.  Then, Fergus moved his restaurant ashore.

Separating the two ships took quite some time, but by 6 PM, the bow of the North Carolina was nosed into its berth.  Work was halted for the night and then finished the following day.

If I recall, I think I remember seeing a picture of the Ark with a Purple Heart on it after the collision.

Wonder If It Was On Purpose?  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment