The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Jim Landis' Pearl Harbor Dive Bomber

From 2011 WKRG News 5, Mobile, Alabama.

The dive bomber Jim Landis was assigned to when the attack came at Pearl Harbor is on display at the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola (Florida).

Jim Landis on the attack:  "I was posting the watch that morning on Ford Island.  When I realized we were under attack I ran to one of the SBD planes that I knew was loaded with ammunition.  When I pulled back the canopy to get out the guns, a bullet went through my hand.  Somehow I managed to get the guns out and did some shooting."

The Pearl Harbor Survivors Association was trying to organize a trip for seven of its remaining members to Pearl Harbor for the 70th anniversary.

I see that they made it to the anniversary.

The Greatest generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment