The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Salamaua- Lae: A Follow-Up

This past Feb. 22, I wrote about Jim Landis' plane at Pearl Harbor attacking the Japanese in March at Salamaua-Lae.  I had never heard of the operation, so Wiki here I come.

This was in connection with the Japanese invasion of Salamaua-Lae from March 8-13, 1942, while Japan was still on the offensive in the Pacific.  Their intention was to build a base and airfield there.

The March 10th attack from American carriers, one of the planes being Landis' (and, I'll finish that plane's history tomorrow), covered 201 miles.  The Lexington's SBD Dauntlesses hit at 0922.  The Japanese transports Kongo Maru, Tenyo Maru and Yokahoma Maru were sunk and several other ships were damaged..

GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment