The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jim Landis and His Pearl Harbor Survivors Go There for 70th Anniversary-- Part 2

The seven Pearl Harbor Survivors Association who went there in 2011 for the 70th anniversary of the attack.  These are their stories from that day.

JACOB GALLAWA--  "I was on duty as a radioman on the submarine tender USS Pelias, I kept running out on the deck whenever I could see what was going on."

BILL BRADDOCK--  "We were in the mess hall having breakfast on Ford Island when the silverware began jumping on the table.  We ran outside and low and behold there weren't anything but airplanes all in the air with the red balls on the side of them.

I saw a Jap plane fly by with his shield pulled back.  We saw him drop this big torpedo that was hanging down below his plane and saw it hit the water."

CASS PHILLIPS--  "I was up getting ready to go have breakfast, when we looked up and saw planes flying by.  We thought that they were Army planes.  I said 'Look they are really making this look realistic, they've got meatballs painted on the side of the planes.'

When the attacks were over, all but two of the thirty-eight planes we had just brought over from the west coast were destroyed."

The Story of One of Those Two Planes, Next.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment