The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Reunion Seven Decades in the Making-- Part 2: Raising the Flag

According to Duvrell Conner: "When the captain gave the order to return to the ship, I thought if we're going to save the ship, we should have the flag going. I thought that would help bring the guys back on the ship. When I raised it, there was a cheer. I like to think I did a little something to inspire them to come back. But I don't make the claim." //// He never saw that flag again. //// Conner was a crptologist working on the admiral's staff encoding and decoding messages. As the California began sinking, he and others packed their top-secret gear and left the ship. //// About 10-15 years ago, he saw that the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association in Sacramento was donating the California's flag to the State Capitol. //// More to Come. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment