The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

World War II's "Kissing Sailor" Dies-- Part 2

When Lois Gibson determined that he was the "Kissing Sailor," this really impacted Mr. McDuffie's life. He began making appearances and women paid $10 for a photograph of them kissing them. Gibson said: "He would make money and kliss women. He had the most glamorous life of any 80 year old." //// Mr. McDuffie told AP that he was changing trains in New York when he found out the Japanese had surrendered. "I was so happy, I ran out into the street." He was 18 and on his way to meet his girlfriend in Brooklyn. "And then I saw a nurse. She saw me hollering and with a big smile on my face.... I just went right to her and kissed her. We never spoke a word. Afterwards, I just went on the subway across the street and went to Brooklyn." //// I would imagine he might be arrested if he tried that in these days. //// That Is One Iconic Photograph. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment