The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge Dedicated in 2012-- Part 2

TOM NERKOWSKI, 92, of Branford, was on the hospital ship Solace: "I was standing right on the fan deck and that plane come down like it was going to fire on us. It looked like we were going to be hit. So, I couldn't reach the rifles, they had them all locked up, there was nothing I could grab, so I grabbed ahold of what I could and that was my hammer that I had with me, and I flung it at the plane. Lucky that it didn't hit, and then again, I kind of wish that it did." //// JERRY STOEVER was on the destroyer-tender USS Whitney and in the shower when the attack began: "I was going to meet my uncle who lived in Waikiki. I was supposed to meet him that morning. Well, needless to say, I didn't get to see him. There was liberty. I was a gunner on a 50-caliber anti-aircraft gun. That was my station for the attack. I had a chance to fire back, which I felt good about." //// --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment