The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, August 7, 2015

Veteran Recalls Fighting Japanese in the Aleutian Islands-- Part 2

He was pinned down with little cover.  He dared not fire his rifle for fear it would enable the Japanese to locate his position.

"We laid there for maybe three hours.  That's when I froze my feet and fingers.  My hands were like ice, and they're still like ice.  I still have ringing in my ears from all of the noise."

"From where we were, we could see our battleships off to the left, out in the ocean-- the Idaho, Pennsylvania and Nevada.  When those ships were firing their big guns, there was so much smoke, you couldn't even see the ship.

"Boy, they were letting go, BANG! BANG!  Some of the shells came pretty close yo us."

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment