The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Bedford Man Recalls Attack on Pearl Harbor

From the June 7, 2016, Fredericksburg.com  (Va,) by Rachel Smith.

Leonard Peverall, 94, had this to say about it:, "If I was a foot taller, I would have lost my head."

He was on the USS Pennsylvania about to have breakfast when the attack began.  He ran up to the top deck.

"We didn't have any idea what was going on; it wasn't until we heard the bombs that we knew.  I was on the top deck and could see airplanes coming over and the commander said to 'man your guns.'"  The Pennsylvania was strafed and shots hit about a foot above his head.

Afterwards, he served the rest of the war on the USS Canfield and steamed into Tokyo Bay in mid-September 1945, after VJ-Day.

Before joining the Navy, he was a member of the Civilian Conservation Corps.

No comments:

Post a Comment