The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

"Color Girls" -- Part 6: Barbara Engh

The USNA Nimitz Library has a photograph of Color Girl Helen Barbara Eagle from the Class of 1940.  I believe this to be a misprint of the name Engh.

It said that William Croswell Croft married Helen Barbara Engh, a 40s Color Girl in March 1941.

Of course, his being in the USNA Class of 1940 would have put him in World War II.  Perhaps he was at Pearl harbor.  I'll have to look him up to see what became of him.

--GreGen

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled upon this post while looking up my grandparent's Color Girl photo to show my son. You are right, Helen Barbara Engh is correct, not Eagle. And also yes, William Croswell Croft was at Pearl Harbor at the time of the bombing as a turret officer on the California. He survived and stayed in the Navy until 1946. He went on to become a successful businessman and wonderful grandfather to 16 grandchildren. He passed away in 2009.

    ReplyDelete