The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, December 3, 2020

'I Just Did My Job" Recalls USS Arizona Survivor Louis Conter-- Part 1

From the December 2, 2020,  Fox 40 News (California) "'I just did my job:' Grass Valley Navy sailor recalls being aboard the USS Arizona during Pearl Harbor" by Doug Johnson.

Monday, December 7, is the 79th anniversary of this event.  Sadly, every year there are fewer and fewer survivors of it to commemorate it.

However, one local man was there.

"Everyone of us did our job well.  There wasn't one person on the ship that didn't do their job on the ship the way he was trained."  Lou Conter, 99, is one of just two men aboard that ill-fated ship still alive today.  He was a quartermaster 3rd class that day and had just turned 20 two months earlier.

His ship had just arrived at Pearl Harbor on the afternoon of December 5.  Little did they know that at that very time, a Japanese attack force was nearing its destination.

--GreGen



No comments:

Post a Comment