The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, December 17, 2020

Life on USS Oklahoma Before Attack-- Part 4: About the Black Cat and Royal Hawaiian

QUESTION:  Did you go to the Black Cat?  (A popular Oahu bar for sailors)

ANSWER:  Yes, but it was not one of my favorite places.  One of the first times I went on liberty, I found a small restaurant.  It had a bar with a few stools.

*************************

QUESTION:  What was the reaction of Hawaiians to people from the Mainland?

ANSWER:  I didn't have much contact with them.  We used to go to Waikiki and the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  The Royal Hawaiian had a little grass shack with a fence around it.  We would always try to sneak in and get our picture taken in front of that grass shack.

The guard would chase us away and it was a game of cat and mouse.  If  you were not getting your picture taken you were taking someone else's picture.

*************************

I'll have to find out about this Black Cat Bar.

Oh, Those Were the Days, But, Then....  --GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment