The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

USS Indianapolis Survivor to Speak in Lake Villa, Illinois

From the April 9, 2014, Hi-Liter "WWII survivor to speak at Chain of Lakes Community Bible Church." On Wednesday, April 30, the church will have a true American hero, Edgar Harrell, who survived the tragic sinking of the USS Indianapolis, considered to be the single worst naval disaster in U.S. Naval history. It was also the last American ship lost in the war. The event starts at 7 p.m. and is free. The Chain of Lakes Bible Church is located at 43 W. Grass Lake Road in Lake Villa, Illinois. I'm definitely planning on being there. Especially since I have been writing so much about the USS Indianapolis so much on the last couple weeks. The last two years, I have gone to the Indy 500 and spent a lot of non-racetrack time at the Speedway American Legion across from where the race is run and they have a large picture of the USS Indianapolis and its history up on one of the walls. I also see that Mr. Harrell has written a book about the USS Indianapolis tragedy so hopefully I'll be able to get a signed copy. A Real Hero. --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment