The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Claborn Begley Survived the Sinking of the Reuben James


From ibiblio.org  Casualties USS Reuben James.  This is a list of both survivors and those who died.

I took a look at the list of survivors and picked three men to write about.

SURVIVOR

Claborn Begley, Machinist Mate, 2c, USN  #310-79-18 (Rescued, Slightly Injured)

Re-enlisted Nov. 5, 1938, aboard the USS Oklahoma.

Home address:  #123 East 89th St., Los Angeles, Calif.

Next of Kin:  Wife Grace Begley, c/o Mrs. Gertrude Lawrence, 806 East 76th Street, Los Angeles, Calif.

I wonder what Mr. Begley was thinking five weeks later when he learned what happened to his old ship, the USS Oklahoma, at Pearl Harbor?

One of the Survivors.  --GreGen

1 comment:

  1. Claborn Begley is my grandpa. After his first wife and two boys, he married Guynell Oakley Begley and had 9 more children. One of which is my mother Darline Yvonne Begley. He served in WWI, Korean War, and WWII. He was in the navy for 28 years and in the army for 3 years. He passed when I was 6 months old in 1976.

    ReplyDelete