The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Shattering the Martini Glass Ceiling-- Part 4: Bar Maids or Bar Guys?


In 1950, the Tribune picked up an AP story from Detroit with the headline "Grandmas fight to keep jobs -- as bartenders."  It described the plight of a barowner who was being pressured by the local bartenders union to fire "his elderly barmaids."

One was 50 and the other 51.

He said: "I don't want to put the girls out of work.  They are the best help I've ever had and they've been with me since 1942.

"But, if I don't sign the contract, the union will keep picketing my place and I won't be able to get any beer.  I have to sign it or go out of business.  Ah, me!!  Such a business!"

Hey, Let's Face It, Bar Maids Are Much Easier On the Eyes Than a Bar Guy.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment