The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Deaths: Last of the 29 Navajo Code Talkers-- Part 2

The Navajos' skill, speed and accuracy under fire in the Marshall islands to Iwo Jima is credited with saving the lives of thousands of U.S. servicemen and helping to shorten the war.  The 2002 movie "Windtalkers" featured their effort.

In his memoirs, Mr. Nez noted: "I reminded myself that my Navajo people have always been warriors, protectors.  In that there was honor.  I would concentrate on being a warrior protecting my homeland.."

In 2001, Mr. Nez and the surviving Code Talkers were invited to Washington, D.C. to receive the Congressional Gold Medal for their service.   At that time he noted that things didn't always go smoothly for them.  "Quite a few Navajo guys were mistaken for Japanese.

The death in 2011 of Lloyd Oliver made Mr. Nez the last surviving member of the unit.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment