The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Ray "Pops" Merrick's Bronze Star


In January, I wrote about him in this blog.


I ran into Mr. Merrick this past Saturday and he said I hadn't mentioned his Bronze Star.

The Bronze Star was awarded to nay person who, after December 6, 1941,  while serving in any capacity in the United States military distinguishes themselves  by heroic or meritorious  achievement or service, not involving aerial service.

It is the fourth highest medal awarded by the U.S. military.

I'll have to find out what he received it for.

Also, I said that he had seen Roy Rogers while serving over at "The Hump."  But it was actually Gene Autry that he had seen.

--GreGen


No comments:

Post a Comment