The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Japanese Submarine I-70 Sunk Three Days After Pearl Harbor

From This Day in Naval History.

I was wondering about which Japanese submarine Lt. Dickinson sank on December 10, 1941, just three days after Pearl Harbor, so did a Yahoo! Search.

According to This Day in Naval History, on Dec. 10, 1941, aircraft from the USS Enterprise sank the Japanese submarine I-70 north of the Hawaiian Islands, the first Japanese combatant ship to be sunk in the war.

Also on December 10th:

A Navy PBY aircraft piloted by Lt. Utter shot down a Japanese Zero in the first US Navy air-to-air kill of the war.

Guam surrendered to Japanese forces.

GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment