The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive-- Part 1: Fifth Annual Commemoration in McHenry, Illinois

Yesterday, I put out my three U.S. flags and eagle emblem in honor of this five-year-old commemorative day as declared by Congress.

McHenry, Illinois, deserves credit as being one of the few towns to have a celebration of the Greatest generation all five years, though now I understand hundreds of towns across the U.S. are celebrating it.

I went to my first one in McHenry last year.

One thing I was worried about was what if hardly anyone showed up?  I needn't have worried as both years there were hundreds of people in attendance.

As usual, there were several tents displaying artifacts and newspapers from the era, including a really impressive homemade model of the USS Arizona and Pearl Harbor which was hosted by a member of the Sons and Daughters of Pearl Harbor Survivors.

The reason McHenry has had the celebration is because of a man named Ron (didn't catch his last name) who organized the first one and everyone since.  He is also a member of the National Keep the Spirit of '45 Alive organization.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment