The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, August 23, 2014

No Allied Ships Sunk Off North Carolina in August 1942

The totals of Allied ships sunk off the coast of North Carolina dropped to two in July 1942 (along with two U-boats that were sunk).  This reflects improved Allied defense and convoys systems as well as Germany pulling their submarines off the U.S. coasts and concentrating to prevent convoys going to Europe and the Soviet Union.

In August, September and October 1942 no Allied ships were sunk off North Carolina.

However, from August 4-19th in 1918, during World War I, German submarines, the U-140 and U-117, sank seven ships, including the Diamond Shoals Lightship.

Until recently, I did not know that U-boats also operated off the U.S. coast during World War I.

--GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment