The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Japanese Submarine I-70-- Part 4

When Dickinson returned to the scene, he saw four Japanese sailors floating in the water and a bubble of oil appear on the surface of the water, followed by two others containing more oil and debris.

This was the first enemy combatant ship sunk by U.S. aircraft during the young war and the first Japanese fleet submarine lost.

The US Sixth Fleet continued to try to make contact with the I-70.  The ship is to presumed to be a loss with all 93 hands.  The submarine never returned to port or contacted any other Japanese fleet so was also considered a loss by them.

More to Come on the Loss of the I-70.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment