The USS North Carolina (BB-55) My all-time favorite warship. As an elementary school student in North Carolina, I donated nickels and dimes to save this ship back in the early sixties.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

New York City's Fort Hamilton

Likewise, I hadn't heard of this fort either when I did today's first blog entry.  Wiki here I go again.

The cornerstone was laid in 1825 and the fort was completed in 1831.During both world wars it served as major embarkation and separation centers.  It is estimated that some 3 million troops headed for Europe were processed there.

Most if its parade ground and brick barracks were destroyed in 1959 when the Verrazano Bridge was built.

Its Battery AMTB 18 at Norton Point was built as a defense against fast enemy torpedo boats and aircraft and it also had a coastal gun battery mounting four 3"M1902MI guns.  The guns were transferred to Fort Wadsworth 29 Nov 1942.

Nothing remains of the fort.

Now, You Know.  --GreGen

No comments:

Post a Comment